POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : pigment from array : pigment from array Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:29:18 EDT (-0400)
  pigment from array
From: clipka
Date: 10 Mar 2009 13:30:01
Message: <web.49b6a2f11a97d4f7f708085d0@news.povray.org>
In one scene I'm working on, I need to sample data from discrete points using
trace(). From this, I'm currently generating a heightfield-like mesh.

Now I want to add some "ground fog"-like effect that follows the contours of
this height field.

I tried with a pigment based on a function that takes the values from an array,
but it seems that accessing an array from within functions is not possible (or
I'm doing something wrong).

Another idea would be to do an orthographic shot of the heightfield mesh with a
gradient pattern to convert it into a heightfield image; however, I would
prefer to avoid the additional rendering step.

Any smart idea how to accomplish this?